Using Nginx to stream h.264 video

Richard Kearsley Richard.Kearsley at m247.com
Sun Mar 18 19:39:01 UTC 2012

The primary reason for the mp4 module is to allow seeking of the video before the whole file has been downloaded by flash - it's all a nasty workaround for flash being ****

Mp4 can be used in some browsers with html5 video tag (and most mobile devices)
Otherwise you will have to use one of the flash video players, like flowplayer or jwplayer

The nginx mp4 filter is only beneficial to the latter as it allows pseudo-streaming in flash
Html5 will work fine without the mp4 module and indeed in other httpds, as it uses the http range header (e.g. to seek the video, it just "resumes" the download from a later point)