are Range requests for dynamic content supported?

David van Geest davidv at spindance.com
Wed May 2 13:22:10 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM, Ensiferous <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> Your backend is responsible for returning the proper data, it can't
> return the entire data and then expect nginx to send only part of it.

Why can't nginx do this?  Technically it seems entirely feasible.
Partial Content is an HTTP feature so it seems logical to keep this
with the HTTP server.

> What you should actually do, if at all possible, is to use the
> x-accel-redirect to direct nginx to the content location so that it can
> read the file itself instead of getting it from your backend.

There is no file or content location, this is dynamic content pulled
from a DB.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding your suggestion though....

Thanks for the reply!