Why tcp_nodelay default to on?

howard chen howachen at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 05:02:03 UTC 2012

 From the doc: http://wiki.nginx.org/ReadMoreAboutTcpNodelay

TCP_NODELAY is for a specific purpose; to disable the Nagle buffering
algorithm. It should only be set for applications that send frequent small
bursts of information without getting an immediate response, where timely
delivery of data is required (the canonical example is mouse movements).

So my understanding for most web app, it should be disabled so we can use
the "Nagle buffering algorithm", only disable when you have special need,
like logging mouse movements as in the example?

Thanks.