ignore part of URL to force caching?

AJ Weber aweber at comcast.net
Thu Oct 4 18:20:30 UTC 2012

I would like to "override" the intent of the app server that is
basically disabling any caching of the backend file.  For example, they
are embedding a "noCache=#######" parameter at the end of the URL (there
are other parameters following, but if I can check the url up-to the "?"
that would suit me fine).

This is actually a dynamically generated SWF file, but the file is then
constant for a reasonable amount of time such that I'd like to cache it
for a few minutes.

Is there a way in a specific "location" to tell nginx to ignore the
parameters (or any portion of the URL) when determining the cached
object for that URL?  In other words, tell nginx to cache content for
that location, say only 5min, and ignore all parameters when determining
whether to cache and how to match cached content?

If I'm not explaining myself properly, please let me know and I'll try
another route. :)

Thanks in advance,
AJ