Dynamic IP Whitelisting From A Database

justin nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Oct 15 05:56:25 UTC 2012

Hi,

We have a software as a service product where each user get's their own
hosted subdomain like (me.domain.com). We would like to implement
whitelisting, where users can specify certain IP addresses that are allowed
to view their site. This is implemented like:

location / {
   allow 1.2.3.4;
   allow 2.3.4.5;
   deny all;
}

The problem is that we don't want to deal with the application code
touching/writing the nginx configuration when a user makes changes to the
whitelist. I was thinking it would be awesome if nginx could read this from
a database (MySQL or SQLite), and auto populate the allow list from that. Is
this possible? If not, what is the best way to implement whitelisting,
without the application code reading and writing the nginx configuration
file.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,231793,231793#msg-231793