gzip filter on streaming responses

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Oct 16 10:41:17 UTC 2012

Hello!

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 02:32:44PM -0700, John Watson wrote:

> I did some investigation and the gzip filter will only activate if there
> is a Content-Length header with valid length.

This is not true.  With Content-Length present gzip filter is able
to more effectively allocate buffers (or skip responses as per
gzip_min_length), but it isn't limited to responses with
Content-Length present.

> Is there any way of deflating streaming responses from the nginx push
> stream module? Where is there isn't a  known content length, but
> potential for thousands of messages to be transferred?

As long as push stream module does things correctly it should
work, but that's the question more about (3rd party) push stream
module, not gzip filter.

http://nginx.com/support.html