Subdirectory still redirecting to www. despite rule

Ian Evans ianevans at digitalhit.com
Wed Sep 19 08:01:09 UTC 2012

On 19/09/2012 3:21 AM, Valentin V. Bartenev wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 September 2012 04:25:53 Ian M. Evans wrote:
> [...]
>> location ^~ /blogs {
>>    try_files $uri /blogs/index.php?q=$uri;
>>    location ~ \.php$ {
>>    fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:10004;
>> }
>> }
>> if ($uri ~ (/blogs/[^/]*)) {
>>    set $blogname $1;
>> }
>
>    location /blogs {

>        location ~ ^/blogs/([^/]+) {
>        }
>    }
>
> But your example config is completely broken. Probably you do not understand how
> "location" works. If so, you should read these articles:
>
>   http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/request_processing.html
>   http://nginx.org/r/location
>

>> location ^~ /blogs/$blogname {
>
> Variables are not allowed here.

As it turns out, the issue was a missing document root (since I
previously only used that server section to redirect to www) Added the
root and it worked fine.

As for the variable in the location, I did not write that. It was
suggested to me in the thread:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/4405180#1073498