Dropbox as upsream server

winniethepooh nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Apr 11 08:15:02 UTC 2013

I'm trying to use the Dropbox public folder and my nginx server as a
upstream server to server static files. I'm hoping someone can point me in
the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

So:
my.domain.net/u/#########/*.bz2 serves from
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/#########/*.bz2 "twice" as much as
my.domain.net/u/#########/*.bz2

It seems when the server uses the x.x.x.x:80 it loops and hits the
proxy_pass directive over and over resulting in a 500 error.

Any help is appreciated!

Here is what my configuration looks like:
upstream backend {
  server   x.x.x.x:80 weight=1 max_fails=2;
  server   dl.dropbox.com:80 weight=2 max_fails=2;
}

server {
    listen       80;
    server_name  my.domain.net www.my.domain.net;
    root   /path/to/my/root/;

    location /u/#########/ {
        autoindex on;
        autoindex_exact_size off;
                }

    location ~* ^.+.(bz2|bsp|nav)$ {
                proxy_pass http://backend;
                proxy_set_header Host $http_host;
                proxy_set_header  X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,238280,238280#msg-238280