Dropbox as upsream server

winniethepooh nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Apr 11 15:08:47 UTC 2013

Maxim Dounin Wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 04:15:02AM -0400, winniethepooh wrote:
>
> It's not clear why you added "x.x.x.x" to the upstream block if
> it's not an upstream but the same server.  Obvious solution would
> be to remove it.
>
> If you try to implement "check the local disk, and if the file
> isn't there - proxy to dropbox" logic, correct solution would be
> to use something similar to an example provided at
> http://nginx.org/r/error_page:
>
>     location / {
>         error_page 404 = @fallback;
>     }
>
>     location @fallback {
>         proxy_pass http://backend;
>     }
>
> --
> Maxim Dounin
> http://nginx.org/en/donation.html

Hey, thanks for your reply! I have the same files stored both at
/path/to/my/root/* and at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/#########/*. The same
folder structure and everything.

What I want is to "load balance" between dropbox and the same nginx site
(x.x.x.x) so both places can serve files.

Is the only way to do this to split up the proxy as one server block on one
port (80 for example) and the actual server block hosting the files in
another server block on a different server port (8080 for example)?

Or can I modify the originally posted setup to do what I want?

Thanks again.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,238280,238296#msg-238296