HealthCheck in Baseconfiguration

Andrew Alexeev andrew at nginx.com
Thu Apr 18 08:42:15 UTC 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 12:37 PM, "HajoLOcke" <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i use nginx 1.0.12 and 1.2.4
> I know there is a special healthcheckmodule. But i want to know if nginx ist
> doing a kind of healtcheck in its basic Configuration without the special
> HttpHealthcheckModule. Is nginx able to check and/or weight his backend in a
> simple base Configuration?

There has been always a mechanism to check backend state in nginx load balancing code.

However, that's not an "out-of-band" health checking, as you pointed out. It's more like an integrated or "in-band" synchronous check.

Rationale for that is that nginx was developed and mostly used across high load environments, so an asynchronous health check running every few minutes doesn't really help when you've got thousands requests per second per backend.

We always check if a particular request has failed, and you've got means to configure the restoration logic.

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#server