Nginx reload problem

li zJay zjay1987 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 15:07:30 UTC 2013

Hello:

I found that some nginx config option doesn't take effect after
modification with reload, the following is a simple test case:

nginx version: nginx/1.2.7
nginx.conf:
============================
worker_processes  1;
error_log  logs/error.log  info;

events {
    worker_connections  1024;
}

http {
    limit_req_zone $arg_a zone=testzone:64m rate=1r/s;

    server {
        listen 80;

        location / {
            limit_req zone=testzone burst=2;
            alias /;

I change  $arg_a to $arg_b in the line 'limit_req_zone $arg_a
zone=testzone:64m rate=1r/s;' then reload nginx, but the change doesn't
take effect, unless I stop nginx manually and start it again.

Is this an expected behavior ? or are there any other nginx config options
that not compatible with reload operation?

Thanks!