why the change in links on the wiki?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Dec 4 22:33:39 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Wed, Dec 04, 2013 at 01:04:17PM -0800, David Birdsong wrote:

> I noticed this a few months back. Why do the links on wiki.nginx.org link
> nginx.org/en/docs/ instead of to wiki.nginx.org?
>
> For example: the http core module doc link on
> http://wiki.nginx.org/Modulespoints ->
> http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_core_module.html instead of:
> http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule
>
> I kind of hate this. I find the wiki version of the module docs much more
> readable.
>
> Why the change?

Wiki pages for standard modules were created as an English
translation of Russian docs long time ago, when there were no
official English docs.  Since then, official English became
available.

In past years we've faced multiple cases of old/incorrect/missing
descriptions on wiki confusing people, so these pages were
deprecated and links were changed to official docs instead.
Moreover, changing pages to do redirects instead was recenly
discussed.  Supporing multiple versions of the documentation isn't
something we want to spent time on, and bit rot on these pages on
wiki can't be just ignored.

What exactly do you find "much more readable"?  Wording?  Design?
May be it's something that can be improved in the documentation?

http://nginx.org/en/donation.html