using nginx to cache file serving

Richard Stanway r1ch+nginx at teamliquid.net
Thu Dec 5 11:13:23 UTC 2013

1. Depends a lot on your environment. If you are sure you are I/O bound,
there isn't too much you can tweak.

2. How are you measuring this? It's normal for there to be very little
"free" memory on Linux due to buffers and filesystem caches. Look at the
-/+ buffers/cache line for your available memory. If you are actually
running out of memory and hitting swap, this is likely why performance is
so low.

3. Take a look at ngx_slowfs_cache, it sounds like it might fit the bill -
http://labs.frickle.com/nginx_ngx_slowfs_cache

Rich.