sent_http_HEADER Volatile under Nginx 1.2.4

Paul Taylor me at ptylr.com
Thu Dec 12 23:36:21 UTC 2013

Hi Maxim,
Thanks for your response. You’re right! Using the map did work (I thought I’d tried that, but must have been tired!).
So, now I have one other challenge, the value of $foo that you define below is needed to identify whether to cache the response of not. The only issue is that I have a number of other directives that I also need to add into the mix - therefore I use the set_by_lua code to nest/combine OR within an if statement…code below (I’ve kept the variable name as foo, so it’s clear which I’m referring to):
map $upstream_http_x_no_cache $foo {
  ""                    0;
  default               1;
}
set_by_lua $bypass_cache '
  local no_cache_dirs = tonumber(ngx.var.no_cache_dirs) or 0
  local logged_in = tonumber(ngx.var.logged_in) or 0
  local no_cache_header = tonumber(ngx.var.foo) or 0

  if((no_cache_dirs == 1) or (no_cache_header == 1) or (logged_in == 1)) then
    return 1;
  end

  return 0;
';
Now when I make the Lua local variable declaration in order to use it, the value of $upstream_http_x_no_cache is reset to 0, even when it was set as 1 originally. If I comment out the line declaring the local variable within the Lua call, it returns to being a value of 1 again.
Am I getting the sequencing of events wrong again? Is there any way that I can get the value of $upstream_http_x_no_cache into this Lua block, or would I need to do it another way?
Thanks very much for your help so far Maxim.
Paul

On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 07:19:56PM +0000, Paul Taylor wrote:

> I’m in the process of making some amends to an environment,
> where my upstream servers are sending a custom header
> (X-No-Cache), which I need to detect and alter caching rules
> within the configuration.
>
> The custom header is visible within the output, and I can
> re-output it as another header through configuration (i.e.
> add_header  X-Sent-No-Cache $sent_http_x_no_cache; ).
>
> However, as soon as I perform any type of testing of this custom
> header, it disappears.
>
> For example, if I was to perform a map on the custom header, try
> to set an Nginx variable to the value of the header, or test
> within an IF statement, any future call to this header is no
> longer possible. Additionally any setting or testing of the
> header fails.

Both "set" and "if" directives you mentioned are executed _before_
a request is sent to upstream, and at this point there is no
X-No-Cache header in the response.  Due to this, using the
$sent_http_x_no_cache variable in "set" or "if" will result in an
empty value, and this value will be cached for later use.

It's not clear what you are trying to do so I can't advise any
further, but certainly using the $sent_http_x_no_cache variable in
"if" or "set" directives isn't going to work, and this is what
causes behaviour you see.

Just a map{} should work fine though - as long as you don't try to
call the map before the X-No-Cache header is actually available.
E.g., something like this should work fine:

    map $sent_http_x_no_cache $foo {
        ""                    empty;
        default               foo;
    }

    add_header X-Foo $foo;

It might be also a goo idea to use $upstream_http_x_no_cache
variable instead, see here:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_upstream_module.html#variables

http://nginx.org/