Optimizing NGINX TLS Time To First Byte (TTTFB)

Lukas Tribus luky-37 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 17 08:46:00 UTC 2013

Hi Adam,

> FYI: http://www.igvita.com/2013/12/16/optimizing-nginx-tls-time-to-first-byte/
>
> We started with a ~1800ms overhead for our TLS connection (nearly 5
> extra RTTs); eliminated the extra certificate roundtrip after a nginx
> upgrade; cut another RTT by forcing a smaller record size; dropped an
> extra RTT from the TLS handshake thanks to TLS False Start. With all
> said and done, our TTTFB is down to ~1560ms, which is exactly one
> roundtrip higher than a regular HTTP connection. Now we're talking!

Thanks, this is very helpful. Are you trying to upstream the record size
patch?

What I don't get from your patch, it seems like you are hardcoding the
buffer to 16384 bytes during handshake (line 570) and only later use a
1400 byte buffer (via NGX_SSL_BUFSIZE).

Am I misunderstanding the patch/code?

Thanks,

Lukas