spdy protocol version 3 support

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Fri Dec 20 13:16:33 UTC 2013

On Friday 20 December 2013 14:36:43 Christos Trochalakis wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 06:43:37PM -0800, Andrew Alexeev wrote:
> >On Dec 19, 2013, at 6:41 PM, "justin" <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> >> Any update or eta on when we can expect spdy protocol version 3 in the
> >> 1.5.X branch?
> >
> >Pretty soon, stay tuned and thanks for the patience!
>
> Please also consider backporting spdy/3 (or spdy/3.1) to the stable 1.4.x
> branch. I am asking this because firefox and chrome will probably drop
> spdy/2 support around the end of February[0], in which case stable nginx
> servers will be effectively spdy incapable.
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/spdy-dev/XDudMZSq3e4/discussion

The mainline branch is also stable and reliable for production, and if you
need new features then you should use it, that is why it exists.

Furthermore, SPDY in current mainline version is actually better and have
less bugs, since the stable branch receives only critical fixes.  So, if you
are using SPDY I recommend update to 1.5.8 without waiting for spdy/3.

As you have probably figured out, 1.4.x will not get spdy/3 support.  There
are no reasons for backporting.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev