Serving default error pages with 'proxy_intercept_errors on'

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Dec 29 23:16:48 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 09:59:02AM -0500, Maxim Khitrov wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:19 AM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 03:47:51PM -0500, Maxim Khitrov wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm running nginx v1.4.1 on OpenBSD 5.4 and I'd like to use
> >> 'proxy_intercept_errors on' directive without providing my own error
> >> pages. In other words, instead of forwarding page content from the
> >> backend server, just use the error pages that nginx generates by
> >> default.
> >>
> >> This isn't supported normally, however the following configuration
> >> seems to achieve the desired result (though you have to list the error
> >> codes explicitly):
> >>
> >> error_page 403 404 ... @error;
> >> location @error { return 444; }
> >>
> >> I didn't actually know what this would do until I tried it. I assume
> >> that when a matching error code is received from the backend server,
> >> nginx closes the proxy connection without reading the body and creates
> >> a new internal request to @error, which is immediately closed without
> >> a response. Thus, there is no body to send to the client, so it falls
> >> back to the default behavior.
> >
> > Not really.
> >
> > What you see works because currently "return <4xx>" doesn't
> > override error code previously set, thus for 404 error code
> > originally returned by a proxied server
> >
> >     location @error { return 4xx; }
> >
> > is effectively equivalent to
> >
> >     location @error { return 404; }
> >
> > which is documented to return "status code of the last occurred
> > error", see http://nginx.org/r/error_page.
>
> I thought that the original error code is returned because I'm not
> using '=[response]' syntax in the error_page directive. You're saying
> that 'return' may, at some point in the future, change the original
> status code even though I'm not using 'error_page 403 404 = @error'
> (with the equal sign)?

As already pointed out, the documentation of the error_page
directive says (http://nginx.org/r/error_page):

: If uri processing leads to an error, the status code of the last
: occurred error is returned to the client.

To illustrate this, consider the following configuration:

     error_page 403 /no.such.file.html;

If at some point 403 error happens, request is redirected to
"/no.such.file.html".  If it exists, the file will be returned to
a client with the 403 status code.  But if it doesn't exists, the
404 error will be generated, and it will be returned to the
client.

Currently, this is not what "return 404" will do - instead, it
will preserve original error code.  But the difference with
non-existant static file is obviously wrong.

> Is there any other way of getting nginx to return the default error
> pages in this situation?

Bulletproof way would be to use "return <code>" for each <code>
you want to intercept.

http://nginx.org/