Newbie question on ip_hash

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Feb 6 17:00:05 UTC 2013

Maxim wrote on 02/06/2013 11:47:22 AM:

> The ip_hash balancing was designed to work with internet services,
> and use of /24 networks allows it to keep users from migrating
> between backend servers as they get new IP address on
> reconnect/reboot (typically from the same /24 network, at least at
> the time ip_hash was introduced) while still providing good
> distribution between backend servers.  This probably isn't very
> useful nowadays, but this is how it works.

Thank you for the explanation.

> > If I am correct above, is there any way to create persistent
connections
> > based on the full IPv4 address?
>
> There is a number of 3rd party modules available which do hash
> calculation based on arbitrary variables, and these may be used if
> you need a hash based on full client's IPv4 address (there is
> $remote_addr variable).

The backend I am hoping to use nginx for works fine without persistence, I
was just thinking it would help with troubleshooting by keeping all of a
user's activity on one server.  That way I would have one log to check.  I
will look into those modules.

Confidentiality Notice:
This electronic message and any attachments may contain confidential or
privileged information, and is intended only for the individual or entity
identified above as the addressee. If you are not the addressee (or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the addressee), or if this
message has been addressed to you in error, you are hereby notified that
you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of this message or any
attachments. Please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail or
telephone and delete this message from your system.