embedded variable $cookie_YYY and "-" symbol.

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Mon Feb 18 12:35:18 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 03:54:33PM +0400, Igor Karymov wrote:

Hi there,

> set $uwaver $cookie_un-uwa-version;
>
> $uwaver always equal to "-uwa-version" string instead of real cookie value.
>
> maybe i should use some kind of escaping here?

I believe that the reason is that there are some characters which are
valid in cookie names, but which are not valid in nginx variable names;
and I believe that the only way to access them in nginx.conf is to parse
$http_cookie yourself.

There is a similar problem with the $arg_* variables.

Both the $cookie_ and the $arg_ variables are convenience features,
and they work well provided that you restrict your inputs appropriately.

I'm not sure how much work it would be to create a patch allow, for
example, ${var.iab-le} as a way of accessing a variable named like that;
but I guess that it has been "more work than just avoiding or working
around those variable names" for everyone who has hit the issue so far.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org