WebSockets - connection keeps closing after 1 minute

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Feb 20 16:06:18 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 10:57:40AM -0500, WGH wrote:

> Hello!
>
> My WebSocket connections keep closing after precisely one minute.
> The configuration is the same as provided in that commit comment.
> http://trac.nginx.org/nginx/changeset/5073/nginx
>
> Direct connections to the server (without intermediate nginx) happily live
> for many hours.
>
> What option should I change to fix that?

There is proxy_read_timeout (http://nginx.org/r/proxy_read_timeout)
which as well applies to WebSocket connections.  You have to bump
it if your backend do not send anything for a long time.
Alternatively, you may configure your backend to send websocket
ping frames periodically to reset the timeout (and check if the
connection is still alive).

http://nginx.com/support.html