SSL pass through

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Wed Jan 2 17:43:03 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 02, 2013 at 12:18:33PM -0500, zuger wrote:

Hi there,

> I would like to use NGINX as a reverse proxy and pass https requests to a
> back-end server without having to install certificates on the NGINX reverse
> proxy because the backend servers are already set up to handle https
> requests.

What you are describing sounds more like a tcp port forwarder than a
reverse proxy to me.

> How would the configuration look like for this purpose?

Do not have "listen 443" or "ssl on" in the nginx.conf. Let your separate
port forwarder listen on port 443 and tunnel the data straight to your
back-end server.

nginx.conf for http will be like pretty much any examples you can find.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org