otrs on nginx with fcgiwrap

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Sun Jan 13 21:51:17 UTC 2013

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 10:39:14AM -0500, PascalTurbo wrote:

Hi there,

> I'm trying to run OTRS on Debian with nginx and fcgiwrap. But all I get is
> this error:
>
> FastCGI sent in stderr: "Cannot get script name, is DOCUMENT_ROOT and
> SCRIPT_NAME set
> and is the script executable?" while reading response header from upstream,

All untested, but:

that message suggests that your fastcgi server (==fcgiwrap) uses
DOCUMENT_ROOT and SCRIPT_NAME to decide which file to process.

Which file do you want fcgiwrap to process?

What is DOCUMENT_ROOT? What is SCRIPT_NAME? Does combining them lead
you to that file?

Is that file executable?

It may be that switching to a fcgiwrap that uses SCRIPT_FILENAME is the
simplest fix for you.

Or maybe your fcgiwrap does already use SCRIPT_FILENAME, but it uses
the last one that it receives -- in that case putting your "include"
line before your "fastcgi_param" line may be sufficient.

You must match your nginx "fastcgi_param" configuration to whatever it
is that your fastcgi server requires. Your fastcgi server documentation
may give a better indication of what that is.

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org