why is nginx binding to 0.0.0.0:80 when I specify explicit IPs to listen on?

middleforkgis nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Jan 23 04:19:14 UTC 2013

That's really good advice - in general - if not in this case.

Via the standard Debian install, conf.d is empty:

#ls -l /etc/nginx/conf.d
total 0

===

Conversely, downloading the squeeze package from nginx does indeed create a
file
/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf which includes the following:

server {
    listen       80;
    server_name  localhost;

which could have been the culprit - but wasn't in my original case (my first
post does show an empty conf.d, and I've verified that on a separate
machine).

But again, that's important advice you gave.
===

Since, in my debugging, along the way I did remove the package from the
debian repository and install the package from nginx.org, and so the
/etc/nginx/conf.d/default.conf was on my system during the subsequent tests
I documented above.

So, I now need to repeat the entire process and report back on it.

-S

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,235428,235438#msg-235438