Nginx permission denied for tmp directory (with correct user)

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Tue Jun 4 03:46:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, 2013-06-03 at 23:17 -0400, Travis Maxwell wrote:
> Whenever I submit a long post from within wordpress, I get the
> following error:
>
> 2013/06/04 03:04:19 [crit] 12248#0: *491 open() "/var/lib/nginx/tmp/client_body/0000000008" failed (13: Permission denied)
> It works fine if the post isn't that long, but submitting a long one
> throws a 500 error on the front end, and this in my error log file :/
>
> I tried googling and nothing is much help, other than to change the
> user or something
>
> Right now I already have...
>
> /var/lib/nginx/tmp/client_body owned by www:www (nginx) and set to 700
> permissions
This is usually caused by user www not having read/execute ( well,
technically just execute but that's a bit of a pain to use ) access to
one of the parent directories.

I expect the file is only used when temp storage is needed for the
fastcgi php access, so it may be worth increasing those resources too.

hth,

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MNZCS