ulimit in the ubuntu package

pablo platt pablo.platt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 4 11:39:38 UTC 2013

Hi,

I'm using the ubuntu package from nginx.org.

In the package from the official ubuntu repo, you can set file descriptor
limit by changing /etc/default/nginx
# Check if the ULIMIT is set in /etc/default/nginx
if [ -n "$ULIMIT" ]; then
    # Set the ulimits
    ulimit $ULIMIT
fi
Is there a reason this setting is missing from the nginx.org package?

I increased the limit but checking /proc/<pid>/limits still shows the
default.
Should it be enough to set the soft and hard nofile limits in
/etc/security/limits.conf
or do I have to set ulimit $ULIMIT in the init.d script?

Are there plans to use upstart instead of init.d script?

Thanks