Need some help with rewrite rule translation

Fri Jun 14 12:11:18 UTC 2013

I have found the point where my rules break,

I've had the following location on top, to enable browser caching for
images, for one month:

#images give caching response for 1 month, browser will request after
this period of time again
location ~* \.(png|jpg|jpeg|gif)$ {
expires 1m;
log_not_found off;
}
This prevented the Rules to run.
Is there a chance to get this functionality without breaking other
rules?

Simon