Hosting multiple domains

Steve Holdoway steve at greengecko.co.nz
Sun Jun 16 03:04:14 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Sat, 2013-06-15 at 19:39 -0700, Paul N. Pace wrote:
> I have a server that I set up to run several domains from and it has
> worked great and without issue for about 6 months.
>
> I have another server that I had set up and was only running one
> domain from it and I just added a second domain. For some reason, this
> second server does not want to serve two domains, and I can find no
> substantial differences in the configuration files (nginx.conf and
> sites-available files).
>
> On both servers I put a symlink in the sites-enabled folder to the
> corresponding sites-available file.
>
> On the second, problematic server, when creating a symlink to the
> second site and restarting nginx, testing the second domain only
> brings up the first domain. Rebooting the server disables both domains
> and the server appears unresponsive, except that I can SSH into it.
> Then removing the symlink to the second domain and restarting nginx
> returns the server to serving the one domain as it has been doing.
>
> The first server is running nginx 1.5.0  and the second server is
> running nginx 1.4.1.
>
> What should I be looking at to resolve this issue?

Without seeing the config files/error logs, it's difficult to find the
problem. However, I can confirm that both name and IP address based
hosting works perfectly.

nginx -t

may well help identify incorrect config files.

Note there is some precedence in the listen 80 / listen ip:80 statements
which might be causing the problem.

Steve

--
Steve Holdoway BSc(Hons) MNZCS