Handling nginx's too many open files even I have the correct ulimit

0liver nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue Jun 25 11:28:40 UTC 2013

Thanks a lot, Jader. Your hint saved me hours of additional headache after
our site was almost unusable due to NGINX throwing tens of thousands of "24:
Too many open files" errors.

I chose to set *worker_rlimit_nofile* to 65536 = 2^16 for peace of mind :-)

It's important to note, that the *worker_connections* count needs to be
adapted as well, so that connections now won't be dropped because of a too
low value here. Since we're running on a VPS with only a single core, we set
*worker_connections* to 65536, as well.

>From the moment I reloaded those two changes into the NGINX process, I
haven't had any of "too many open file errors.

I've put together a short blog post on this here:
→
http://shades-of-orange.com/post/2013/06/24/Setting-up-NGINX-as-Reverse-Proxy-for-CampingInfo.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,234191,240331#msg-240331