get alert : sem_init() failed (78: Function not implemented

Sergey Kandaurov pluknet at nginx.com
Tue Mar 5 07:49:12 UTC 2013

On Mar 4, 2013, at 7:30 PM, Meteor <meteor8488 at 163.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just upgrade freebsd from 8.1 to 9.1. And after that, every time I start Nginx, I'l get below error message:
>
> 2013/03/04 09:21:27 [alert] 43757#0: sem_init() failed (78: Function not implemented)
> 2013/03/04 09:21:27 [alert] 43757#0: sem_init() failed (78: Function not implemented)
>
> This is the only error message I got, does anyone know how can I fix this problem?

You are likely running old binary built against FreeBSD 8.x.
The latter uses in-kernel implementation of semaphores.
FreeBSD 9.x switched to the new semaphore implementation based on umtx.
Here the kernel module is only used to support old binaries for pre-9.x.
So that's why you seem "Function not implemented" error message:
since in 9.x sem isn't present in the default GENERIC kernel.
I could try to kldload the module sem.ko, or better upgrade your system
canonically which means rebuilding nginx, as said in another mail.
See http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html
for the canonical way to update your system.

--
Sergey Kandaurov
pluknet at nginx.com