Problem configuring Nginx to host SpreeCommerce - 502 error

Joseph O. lists at ruby-forum.com
Wed Mar 6 22:14:41 UTC 2013

*sigh* Clearly I am missing something here, as the only nginx.conf file
I have is the one I posted last night. There is no upstream server; the
code for that was from the example config file I was trying to modify
for my purposes.

It seems that this copypasta approach isn't adequate for setting this up
properly (I can't say I'm too surprised, but the Spree documentation I
was going by implied that it would be), and that I will need to actually
understand how Nginx works if I am to get anywhere with this. At this
point, a tutorial or other documentation is probably what I need most.
I had hoped that the problem was fairly simple, and could be fixed by
some tweaking; it now is clear that the Spree documentation isn't work
the electrons it is printed on.