IMAP: auth_http

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Mar 11 11:29:48 UTC 2013

Hello!

On Sun, Mar 10, 2013 at 02:43:11PM -0700, Grant wrote:

> >> nginx seems to require being pointed to an HTTP server for imap
> >> authentication.  Here's the protocol spec:
> >>
> >> http://wiki.nginx.org/MailCoreModule#Authentication
> >>
> >> Is the idea to program this server yourself or does a server like this
> >> already exist?
> >
> > It's usually a script written individualy for a specific system.
> > Some samples may be found on the wiki, e.g. here:
> >
> > http://wiki.nginx.org/ImapAuthenticateWithApachePhpScript
>
> In that case I request for nginx's imap proxy to function more like
> imapproxy which is easier to set up.

The goal of nginx imap proxy is to route client's connections to
different backends, which is very different from what imapproxy
does.  It's more like a perdition.

If you want nginx to just proxy all connections to a predefined
backend server, you may use something like

    location = /mailauth {
        add_header Auth-Status OK;
        add_header Auth-Server 127.0.0.1;
        add_header Auth-Port 8143;