nginx: [emerg] invalid host in upstream

Reddirt nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Mar 14 15:19:09 UTC 2013

I'm trying to run a Rails app using Nginx with 5 Thin servers.

I created the thin.yml file and when I run the start command, I get:

bitnami at linux:/opt/bitnami/projects/ndeavor/current/config$ thin -C thin.yml
start

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3000 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3001 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3002 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3003 ...

Starting server on 127.0.0.1:3004 ...

I created a ndeavor.conf file in nginx/conf/vhosts that looks like this:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/35302780/ndeavor.conf

And if I run the command to start Nginx, I get this:

    bitnami at linux:/opt/bitnami$ sudo ./ctlscript.sh start nginx
    nginx: [emerg] invalid host in upstream "127.0.0.1:3000/ndeavor" in
/opt/bitnami/nginx/conf/vhosts/ndeavor.conf:2

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,237358,237358#msg-237358