Nginx 1.4 problem

Miguel Clara miguelmclara at gmail.com
Mon May 6 16:32:31 UTC 2013

If this is a linux box you could simple use [::]:80 and it should, by
default, responde to both v4 and v6...

"In Linux by default any IPv6 TCP socket also accepts IPv4 traffic using
the IPv4 to IPv6 mapped address format, i.e., ::ffff:<IPv4 adddress in
dotted decimal notation>. E.g., ::ffff:192.168.0.27 maps the IPv4 address
192.168.0.27 to an IPv6 address.

When you enable the address [::]:80, binding port 80 using IPv6, in the
listen directive, in Linux, by default, the IPv4 port 80 is also enabled.
Meaning that nginx listens for both IPv4 and IPv6 incoming traffic.
Therefore if you erroneously specify also a IPv4 address you'll get an
already bind address error when reloading nginx configuration." (
http://wiki.nginx.org/HttpCoreModule) "

So I guess ipv6only=off should do the same... and it should work.... I can
be 100% sure since I don't have any box with nginx 1.4 + ipv6 yet!