Compiled nginx doesn't work with PHP

joshua1991 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Nov 27 07:32:15 UTC 2013

Hello there, I have posted this question on stackoverflow already  but
thought this place would be more appropriate.

I have a properly installed (apt-get) nginx that works perfectly with html
and php (php5-fpm) but when I download the source of the same version (I
don't modify it for testing purposes), I configure it with "sudo ./configure
--prefix=/etc/nginx --sbin-path=/usr/sbin --without-http_gzip_module" then
make, install, reload and restart it. All the PHP files stop working after
that, they are being served as binary so the browser prompts to save them,
HTML files continue to be served properly.

Any insights on where to start debugging this issue? All the configs
remained the same from the working version, the only difference is that .php
files don't work.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,244997,244997#msg-244997