HttpLimitReqModule delivers "nginx/1.4.3" as a message for HTTP status code 429. Too generic!

Brian08275660 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Oct 27 13:40:11 UTC 2013

Hi Francis,

I think I'm actually reporting a malformed response, it is Nginx that send
"nginx/1.4.3" instead of something useful as "too many requests". I have
tested it with Firefox and there is no doubt. Also tested it with a java
HTTP client component, the same result. The status code received is correct
(429), but not the message that comes with it.

I had just discovered the "error_page" directive after I sent the email, I
will create it, thanks. It is easy to do it. But why doesn't nginx deliver a
default HTML response for 429, as it does for 503 and other codes? Why the
empty page? It would make more sense to deliver the typical simple response,
and that we could customize it with "error_page" if we wanted something more
special.

Brian

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,244156,244162#msg-244162