HttpLimitReqModule delivers "nginx/1.4.3" as a message for HTTP status code 429. Too generic!

Brian08275660 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Oct 27 23:25:28 UTC 2013

Hi Francis,

Probably I shouldn't have said "malformed" when I chose a word to express
the problem with the response. But I assumed that Nginx should show the
phrase that corresponds to the code. I assumed that Nginx has been coded so
it know that 429 means "Too Many Requests" and that we should receive that
string instead of the generic -and not very useful- string
"Nginx/<version>". I just expected Nginx to behave with http status 429 as
it does with http status 503.
I agree that the client should know what to do. In fact, the most important
thing is the code, and that is being delivered perfectly. I just think the
explanation would be useful.

I don't know why your output is different than mine. Weird!

I know that I chose to send 429 to the client, yes, but given that 429 means
"too many requests" for the whole world (I mean, its not a status that I
haven just invented), wouldn't it be nice if Nginx considers this and
delivers the correct phrase?

Brian

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,244156,244181#msg-244181