Nginx convert UTF8 request to ISO-8859-1

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Sep 24 21:47:41 UTC 2013

On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 10:19:51PM +0200, etienne.champetier at free.fr wrote:

Hi there,

> If you put "http://<nginx-server>/?test=ééé" in the address bar, the é will not
> be html encoded, and will be sent encoded in utf8 (c3a9 in hex, i've checked with wireshark)
>
> The problem is that the fastcgi backend (mono webapp, unix socket)
> get the é in ISO-8859-1 (e9 in hex, i've checked with socat)

When I use:

==
  server {
    listen 8080;
    location = / {
      fastcgi_param QUERY_STRING $query_string;
      fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9;
==

and

  tcpdump -nn -i any -X -s 0 port 8080 or port 9

and

  curl http://localhost:8080/?key=

followed by some bytes, I don't see any difference in the bytes in
the to-8080 "GET /?key=" and the to-9 "QUERY_STRINGkey=" parts of the
tcpdump output.

What am I doing that is different to you?

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org