upstream+ip_hash: hash valid global?

revirii nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Sep 30 13:16:14 UTC 2013

Hi,

thanks for your answer :-)

> It's an implementation detail.  As of now, two identical
> upstream{} blocks will map the same ip address to the same peer's
> number.  But it's not something guaranteed.

ok, this is the behaviour when the upstreams are identical, i.e. they have
the same backends. That would be ok for me.

But what if the backends are not identical? My example was:

upstream one {
server backendA;
server backendB;
server backendC;
}

upstream two {
server backendA;
server backendD;
server backendE;
}

If a user sends a request - > upstream:one -> backendA and then makes a
request where upstream:two is used, is he then sent to backendA as well? Ok,
this would be nice to know, but it's not that important ;-)

revirii

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,243162,243262#msg-243262