nginx segfaulting with mod_security

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Apr 14 10:44:22 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 08:42:04PM -0700, Robert Paprocki wrote:

> Hi Maxim!
>
> Thank you for your response, always nice to actually hear back from
> someone knowledgeable. Once thing I had noticed while looking at
> backtraces (coredumps seem to indicate segfaults occurring in a number
> of places, not just filter_module.c:121) was that every bt seemed to
> include gzip modules as well. i disabled gzip in both my server and http
> sections but this did not stop the segfaults (which is interesting, but

All filters, including gzip, are expected to be in backtraces, as
they are always called.  Depending on configuration, they either
do something or not.

> not entirely surprising, given that even when I had set SecRuleEngine to
> off in my modsecurity.conf file, segfaults still occured... so even the
> mere presence of ModSecurityEnabled in the nginx configuration was
> leading to a break).
>
> I have since recompiled nginx without both gunzip module and gzip static
> module, and have not yet gotten any segfaults. i will continue to
> research this and update if I have any more information

As per backtrace, it's more or less obvious that the problem is in
modsecurity.  Compiling out other modules may result in less
frequent segfaults, but it won't fix the bug in modsecurity.

If you want to actually fix the problem, you should either
switch off / compile out modsecurity, or find and fix the bug in
it.

http://nginx.org/