Disable Reverse Proxy for Failover

Hect, Jason JHect at shieldsbag.com
Wed Apr 23 21:58:48 UTC 2014

I have NGINX set up as a reverse proxy, which works fine.  In the event my web server goes down, I would like NGINX to act as the failover, and serve a local page with just some basic company information and a "check back soon" type message.  Trying to do this, I think I'm getting stuck in an infinite loop and always end up with a 502 Gateway error.   For testing, I was just trying to get it working with generic load balancing, going back and forth between my web server and the local NGINX "Check Back Soon" page.  My config looks something like this:

                upstream Server_Test {
                                server 123.456.789.001;
                                server 127.0.0.1;
                }

                server {
                                listen                                     123.456.789.002;
                                server_name                     www.test.com;

                                location / {
                                proxy_pass  http://Server_Test;
                                proxy_next_upstream error timeout invalid_header http_500 http_502 http_503 http_504;
                                proxy_redirect off;
                                proxy_buffering off;
                                proxy_set_header        Host            $host;
                                proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP       $remote_addr;
                                proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;

                server {
                                listen                                     127.0.0.1;
                                server_name                     www.test.com;
                                location / {
                                                root       html;
                                                index     index.html index.htm;