nginx removes double slashes

B.R. reallfqq-nginx at yahoo.fr
Mon Dec 29 15:45:34 UTC 2014

The proxy_pass documentation
<http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_proxy_module.html#proxy_pass> is a
bit unclear to me, but I it is a fact that double slashes are replaced by
single ones as the result of the normalization of the URI.

However, I do not get the following parts:
"If proxy_pass is specified without a URI, the request URI is passed to the
server in the same form as sent by a client when the original request is
processed, or the full normalized request URI is passed when processing the
changed URI: "

and

"Before version 1.1.12, if proxy_pass is specified without a URI, the
original request URI might be passed instead of the changed URI in some
cases."

Calling out to nginx pros: When is the original request processed? When is
it not?
---
*B. R.*