server blocks configured, but getting "hello world" of nginx

Valentin V. Bartenev vbart at nginx.com
Mon Feb 3 22:13:32 UTC 2014

On Monday 03 February 2014 12:59:28 Josh Stratton wrote:
> What does the DNS server have to do with it?  I thought it just translated
> domain names to IP addresses.  I thought the browser queries the DNS, gets
> the IP from the domain name (which is the same for both domains--with or
> without www), and returns it to the browser.  The browser then fires the
> request to that IP address with the domain inside the HTTP header, which
> nginx uses to determine the correct server block.

Right.  But your configuration only had two server blocks: one with
server_name "morebearsmore.com" and one with server_name "strattonbrazil.com",
so there is no one for "www.morebearsmore.com", and since you didn't have
"default_server" parameter in any of them, then nginx just picked up the
first included in nginx.conf file.

  wbr, Valentin V. Bartenev