upstream sent invalid chunked response

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Feb 24 11:04:54 UTC 2014

Hello!

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:52:48AM +0100, Wim R. Crols wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using nginx as a reverse proxy before JBoss and Apache. Certain POST
> requests are failing when passing through nginx. /var/log/nginx/error.log
> showed errors like this:
>
> 2014/02/24 10:05:05 [error] 3409#0: *1744 upstream sent invalid chunked
> response while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.100.7.100,
> server: appliance, request: "POST /archive/python/pulsar/browser/
> HTTP/1.1", upstream: "https://10.100.7.3:443/archive/python/pulsar/browser/",
> host: "10.100.7.1"
>

> Doing a little research I understood version 1.2.1 which we used had a
> problem with chunked encoding so I upgraded to 1.4.5 (since this is the
> official Debian wheezy-backports version). However, the same error appears.
> Do I have to turn something on to make this feature work? I did not find

The message indicate that upstream server returned invalid
response, or at least nginx thinks it is invalid.  If you think
that response returned is valid, it's good idea to actually
provide what was returned, as well as nginx's debug log.

See here for some more hints:

http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging

> anything in the documentation (only a config option
> 'chunked_transfer_encoding' to turn if off, if I understood correctly).

No, "chunked_transfer_encoding" is to disable use of chunked
transfer encoding with clients by nginx.  The message complains
about what's returned by your backend server.

http://nginx.org/