Whitelisting Client Side Certificates

David Birdsong david.birdsong at gmail.com
Wed Feb 26 17:58:00 UTC 2014

Having just gone through learning about this over the last few days, here's
what I learned. Take it w/ a grain of salt.

There are 2 ways I'm aware of.

1. turn on strict client verify and limit the ca list that the server knows
about. this will cause the server to have a limited view of what certs are
valid in the world and cause it to reject any client who's cert doesn't
chain back to your ca list. I think you set that here:
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html#ssl_trusted_certificate

2. match subject name and subjectAlternatename to a whitelist. I don't know
if nginx can do this part natively. Haproxy can:
http://cbonte.github.io/haproxy-dconv/configuration-1.5.html#5.2-verifyhost

...from skimming, the way you'd do #2 is to use
http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/ngx_http_ssl_module.html#ssl_trusted_certificateto
set a proxy header from: $ssl_client_cert and have your backend parse
and accept/deny names found in that pem structure