Websocket tunnel broken with existing SSL session

Eiríkur Nilsson eirikur at nilsson.is
Wed Jan 15 19:30:20 UTC 2014

Hey!

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> It might be helpfull to see debug log and a tcpdump.  See also
> http://wiki.nginx.org/Debugging for hints.

Debug log: http://cl.ly/142F2s2M0b2S
tcpdump: http://cl.ly/2K3D2F1X0t0n (only contains traffic between iOS and
nginx)

This reproduction has nginx 1.5.8 running with SSL on port 4443 using
/dev/poll. It's running on a new-ish smartmachine instance from Joyent. it
gets two websocket connections:

* The first at 18:43:52 is a new SSL session and works correctly, with
traffic visible in tcpdump and debug log.
* Second at 18:45:30 reuses the other SSL session but doesn't work, traffic
can be seen in tcpdump but not in debug log.

I find it very weird that there isn't a single debug message from nginx
after it switches protocols for the second connection until I stop the
nginx after the test is finished. I'm no closer.

Thanks so much for your interest.
- Eirikur