Understanding location blocks and try files

AD7six nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Jan 22 18:31:50 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to understand a problem I'm facing in a typical
frontend-controller application.

I've setup a test config with a single simple server [1], and ran a test
script with debugging enabled to show what happens [2].

What confuses me is why this example is a 404:

> curl -i http://nginx.dev/apples.json
> HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
> Server: nginx/1.4.4

As can be seen in the log [3] there is an invalid response from /index.php.
If I disable the location block adding cache headers for json files [4]
though, the response is fine.

Can someone shed some light as to why this happens? Is there a way to define
location blocks for static files - without that causing problems for dynamic
requests for the same url pattern?

Any help appreciated,

Cheers,

AD