URI escaping for X-Accel-Redirect and proxy_pass in 1.4.7 and 1.6.0

gwilym nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Jul 3 07:41:11 UTC 2014

Jonathan Matthews Wrote:
> On 17 June 2014 07:49, gwilym <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> > The workaround is to _double_ encode so as to send back
> > "image%2520with%2520spaces.jpg" to Nginx but we can't roll this out
> until
> > Nginx 1.6 because it breaks 1.4... but we can't roll out 1.6 until
> the code
> > is there.
>
> I don't have a nice fix for you I'm afraid! However, as a way to get
> out of your chicken-and-egg upgrade problem, could you pass a static
> header containing the nginx version to your backend, and get it to
> switch its X-Accel-Redirect response based on this value?

This was the only clean, cross-version solution I could think of too and
would recommend to others. We didn't end up going with it though as we ended
up having to fast track the 1.6 rollout for other reasons, so we took a
brief window of errors on the chin and cleaned them up later.

Thanks, though.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,250909,251442#msg-251442