Some Issues with Configuration

Francis Daly francis at daoine.org
Tue Mar 11 08:51:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 09:53:53PM +0000, Richard Ibbotson wrote:

Hi there,

> Thanks for some helpful answers so far.  I'm sure I'm neary there.
> Just need a bit more help.  I'm getting error 404 when I try to load a
> Wordpress page.

You can make it easier for people to help you if you don't force them
to guess what you are doing.

"I make this request" -- you didn't say, so I'll assume "/blog/index.php"

"I get this response" -- you did say http 404

"I want this response" -- presumably the php-processed output of one
specific file on your filesystem, but you didn't say which one.

So, given that the request is /blog/index.php, which one of your six
location blocks will nginx use to process the request?

> location = /favicon.ico {
> location = /robots.txt {
> location /var/www {
> location ~ .php$ {
> location ~ [^/]\.php(/|$) {
> location ~* ^.+.(js|css|png|jpg|jpeg|gif|ico)$ {

The docs are at http://nginx.org/r/location

What is the configuration in that location that tells nginx how to
process the request?

Is it what you want it to be?

Francis Daly        francis at daoine.org