[ANN] OpenResty 1.5.11.1 released

Yichun Zhang (agentzh) agentzh at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 05:25:49 UTC 2014

Hello!

I am happy to announce the new 1.5.11.1 release of the OpenResty bundle:

    http://openresty.org/#Download

Special thanks go to all our contributors for making this happen!

Below is the complete change log for this release, as compared to the
last formal release, 1.5.8.1:

 *   upgraded LuaJIT to v2.1-20140330.

     *   feature: included Mike Pall's new "trace stitching" feature
         that can compile around most of the NYI items. thanks
         CloudFlare Inc. for sponsoring the development. This helps
         compiling more Lua code. For example, it gives 10% ~ 40%
         speedup in simple test cases of LuaRestyMySQLLibrary out of
         the box.

     *   bugfix: included all the new bug fixes from Mike Pall, most
         of which are very obscure bugs in the JIT compiler hidden
         for years.

     *   relaxed the hard-coded heuristic limit further to 100 for
         loopunroll.

     *   feature: applied John Marino's patch for compiling LuaJIT on
         DragonFlyBSD. thanks lhmwzy for proposing the patch.

 *   upgraded the Nginx core to 1.5.11.

     *   see the changes here: <http://nginx.org/en/CHANGES>

 *   bugfix: applied the patch to the NGINX core for the latest SPDY
     security vulnerability (CVE-2014-0133).

 *   feature: added support for DragonFlyBSD to "./configure". thanks
     lhmwzy for the patch.

 *   bugfix: disabled the -Werror option for clang because it caused
     build failures at least in recent Mac OS X systems. thanks
     Hamish Forbes for the report.

 *   feature: bundled new component
     LuaRestyUpstreamHealthcheckLibrary 0.01.

     *   see the documentation for details:
         https://github.com/agentzh/lua-resty-upstream-healthcheck#re
         adme

 *   feature: bundled new component LuaUpstreamNginxModule 0.01.

     *   see the documentation for details:
         https://github.com/agentzh/lua-upstream-nginx-module#readme

 *   upgraded LuaNginxModule to 0.9.6.

     *   feature: added new configuration directives,
         init_worker_by_lua and init_worker_by_lua_file, to run Lua
         code upon every nginx worker process's startup.

     *   feature: added new API function ngx.config.nginx_configure()
         to return the NGINX "./configure" arguments string to the
         Lua land. thanks Tatsuhiko Kubo for the patch.

     *   feature: added new API function ngx.resp.get_headers() for
         fetching all the response headers. thanks Tatsuhiko Kubo for
         the patch.

     *   feature: added new API function ngx.worker.pid() for
         retrieving the current nginx worker process's pid.

     *   feature: explicitly check Lua langauge version mismatch; we
         only accept the Lua 5.1 language (for now).

     *   bugfix: accessing a cosocket object from a request which
         does not create it could lead to segmentation faults. now we
         throw out a Lua error "bad request" properly in this case.

     *   change: it is now the user's responsibility to clear the
         captures table for ngx.re.match().

     *   bugfix: we should prefix our chunk names for from-string lua
         source (which also leads to nicer error messages). thanks
         Mike Pall for the catch.

     *   bugfix: subrequests initiated by ngx.location.capture* with
         the HEAD method did not result in responses without response
         bodies. thanks Daniel for the report.

     *   bugfix: segfault might happen in the FFI API for destroying
         compiled PCRE regexes, which affects libraries like
         LuaRestyCoreLibrary. thanks Dane Kneche.

     *   bugfix: fixes for small string buffer arguments in the C API
         for FFI-based implementations of shdict:get().

     *   bugfix: fixed the error message buffer overwrite in the C
         API for FFI-based ngx.re implementations.

     *   bugfix: use of the public C API in other nginx C modules
         (extending LuaNginxModule) lead to compilation errors and
         warnings when the Microsoft C compiler is used. thanks Edwin
         Cleton for the report.

     *   bugfix: segmentation faults might happen when multiple
         "light threads" in the same request manipuate a stream
         cosocket object in turn. thanks Aviram Cohen for the report.

     *   bugfix: timers created by ngx.timer.at() might not be
         aborted prematurely upon nginx worker exit. thanks Hamish
         Forbes for the report.

     *   bugfix: the return value sizes of the C functions
         "ngx_http_lua_init_by_inline" and
         "ngx_http_lua_init_by_file" were wrong.

     *   optimize: coroutine status string look-up is now a bit more
         efficient by specifying the string lengths explicitly.
         thanks Tatsuhiko Kubo for the patch.

     *   various code refactoring.

 *   upgraded LuaRestyCoreLibrary to 0.0.5.

     *   change: now it is the user's responsibility to clear the
         input result table.

     *   feature: resty.core.regex: added new function
         "set_buf_grow_ratio" to control the buffer grow ratio
         (default 2.0).

     *   bugfix: segmentation fault might happen due to assignments
         to ngx.header.HEADER because we did not anchor the memory
         buffer properly which might get collected prematurely.

     *   bugfix: ngx.req.get_headers: we need to anchor the string
         buffer being casted otherwise it might be accidentally
         garbage collected when we still hold a C pointer to it. this
         bug might lead to segmentation faults.

     *   optimize: cache the match captures table for ngx.re.gsub()
         when a function-typed "replace" argument is specified. this
         gives a remarkable speedup.

     *   optimize: resty.core.regex: forked the original shared code
         paths to multiple specialized versions, which helps the JIT
         compiler.

     *   optimize: resty.core.regex: cache the parsing results for
         the regex option strings. thanks Mike Pall for the
         suggestion.

 *   upgraded LuaRestyRedisLibrary to 0.20.

     *   feature: added new redis 2.8.0 commands: "scan", "sscan",
         "hscan", and "zscan". thanks Dragonoid for the patch.

     *   feature: the read_reply() method can now be re-tried
         immediately after a "timeout" error is returned.

     *   bugfix: the "unsubscribe"/"subscribe" commands could not be
         called after read_reply() returned "timeout". thanks
         doujiang for the patch.

     *   bugfix: we incorrectly allowed reusing redis connections in
         the "subscribed" state. thanks doujiang for the patch.

 *   upgraded LuaCjsonLibrary to 2.1.0.1.

     *   rebased on lua-cjson 2.1.0:
         <http://www.kyne.com.au/~mark/software/NEWS-lua-cjson.txt>
         the most notable new feature is the "cjson.safe" module.

     *   feature: applied Jiale Zhi's patch to add the new config
         function "encode_empty_table_as_object" so that we can
         encode empty Lua tables into empty JSON arrays.

 *   upgraded SrcacheNginxModule to 0.26.

     *   bugfix: HEAD requests might result in response bodies.

 *   upgraded EchoNginxModule to 0.52.

     *   bugfix: HEAD subrequests could still result in non-empty
         response bodies.

The HTML version of the change log with lots of helpful hyper-links
can be browsed here:

    http://openresty.org/#ChangeLog1005011

OpenResty (aka. ngx_openresty) is a full-fledged web application
server by bundling the standard Nginx core, lots of 3rd-party Nginx
modules and Lua libraries, as well as most of their external
dependencies. See OpenResty's homepage for details:

    http://openresty.org/

We have run extensive testing on our Amazon EC2 test cluster and
ensured that all the components (including the Nginx core) play well
together. The latest test report can always be found here:

    http://qa.openresty.org

Enjoy!
-agentzh