Nginx 1.6 under load gives a ton of error 403

dfumagalli nginx-forum at nginx.us
Tue May 6 10:30:23 UTC 2014

This is also what I thought. I have searched the whole nginx etc directory
for 403 and deny

/etc/nginx# grep -r '403' .

 and the results I got are these snippets:

        # Deny bad Referers
        if ($http_referer ~*
(babes|forsale|girl|jewelry|love|nudit|organic|poker|porn|sex|teen)) {
                return 403;

        # deny access to .htaccess files, if Apache's document root
        # concurs with nginx's one
        #
        location ~ /\. { access_log off; log_not_found off; deny all; }

        # Wordpress uses the robots.txt
        location = /robots.txt  { access_log off; log_not_found off; }
        location = /favicon.ico { access_log off; log_not_found off; }
        location ~ ~$           { access_log off; log_not_found off; deny
all; }

The apps are several, they all follow the "index.php is the controller"
paradygm.

        # Make sure files with the following extensions do not get loaded by
nginx because nginx would display the source code, and these files can
contain PASSWORDS!
        location ~*
\.(engine|inc|ini|info|install|make|module|profile|test|po|sh|.*sql|theme|tpl(\.php)?|xtmpl)$|^(\..*|Entries.*|Repository|Root|Tag|Template)$|\.php_
{
        deny all;
        }

        location ~ /config.php {
                deny all;
        }

It's not the UFW firewall as well, because the error shows up even with UFW
disabled. So the potential culprit may be php-fpm or some weird nginx
option. Here's the master conf file, the others don't specify anything but
location

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,249857,249863#msg-249863